Sunday, November 4, 2012

influential Peope #1

Throughout this month I will be highlighting people who have influenced my life. Some will be in 1 part series, some will be in a couple part series. The first one I would like to highlight is Joyce. Joyce is my dad's sister. As a matter of fact she is my dad's only sister. I am sure it is not easy growing up with 6 boys. For that alone she deserves to be highlighted. But that is not the reason why she is getting highlights. Joyce reminds me alot of my grandma. I didn't get alot of time with my grandma growing up and she died when I was still very young. I don't think she looks an ounce like my grandma but she sure did get her height and personality. My aunt Joyce is only 4 foot something and as sweet as a gummy bear. She hates her picture getting taken, swears that the camera will break, but still willingly allows to have just one shot of her. I always love going to her house. I don't know if it was the small kitchen filled with yummy yet healthy food, or maybe it was the bird, named baby. It could have been the possibility of the dungeon filled with all sorts of toys and trinkets that would keep me occupied for hours. She has this soft voice that is undescribable, yet recognizable when you hear it.
Over the years as I have grown older, I have learned to appreciate her wisdom. I call her regularly to chat. She gives me hope and strength that I felt I lacked from other people  who should be giving me that. She always believed in me, believed that I was going somewhere and going to do something good. She always believed I would be successful. Most importantly, when I told her I had met a boy out of the Mormon religion - she was the first person who told me how proud she was of me and that she loved me.  When I call, we often talk about my grandma and uncle Ike (her husband). She fills me with stories of both of them, some that I remember, some that I don't. This past year she had a major surgery to remove some cancer. It was devastating to me... the thought of her not being a phone call away was a miserable thought. I am so grateful that this year I was able to travel to Island Park for some down time and my dad's reunion. Since her surgery, she has been healthy as a horse. I know that she wont be around too much longer due to her age, but for now I revel in the moment when I call her and tell her everything that is happening in my life.

2 comments:

Rie Pie said...

What a great idea! And a fun read. :)

Unknown said...

<3 This is going to be fun for me! I'm glad you're doing this!