Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Dad


Me and My dad, May 2006

This is my dad, Darrel. He is an inspiration to me.

I have always been a daddy's girl. When my brothers want something they would send me to ask him, because they knew he wouldn't turn me down. He can laugh with the rest of us but also had a serious side. He has worked very hard everyday of his life to support me and my 7 brothers and sister, and yes I am the youngest. I never saw him call in sick a day in my life until I was 14. He got really sick with diabetic myopahthy. He took over 6 months off work to gain back his strength. I have never seen my dad weak, this was his weak point. They didn't know what he had or what to diagnose him with. 6 months after he started falling down stairs, falling when he went on his daily walk, losing over 100 pounds in matter of a month and just not being able to take care of himself they finally figured it out.

I love my dad and I don't spend near enough time with him. It is a hard situation. When I do spend time with him I cherish it. He is a wise man and can tell you story after story after story. If you have 10 minutes he will tell you an hour story. He loves to talk with any stranger/friend/relative that you bring over. He has a laughter that can fill a house that I don't think I ever heard from anyone else before.

He looks like his father. I have never met his father for he died shortly after my first birthday but he keeps his father alive in me. I know many stories of his dad. Did I mention he loves to tell stories?

He love his grandchildren. He has 15. He willingly takes care of the 'kids' so my sisters can go out for a girls night out. He takes them out in the backyard to jump on the tramp or play in the pool. He loves to garden and let the kids get in the dirt with him. His garage is FULL of tools and other toys he like to tinker with although he can not see them. Yes my dad is blind.

When I was little he had a 'work room' downstairs that he always hung out in when he got home from work. That is where he did all of his bills and made plans for the future. I would always go down there and hang out with him. He was good at math, I passed all my math classes because of him. He always had pictures of monkeys around. I love monkeys! Did I mention my dad also built our home by his bare hands. Yep he did and he did the majority (Like 95%) by himself. Our house was never complete. He had 4 kids under the age of 6 with one more on the way when he built our house. He also found out his 2nd child had cancer the day before his 5th child was born, still working on the house and the day after all of this his parent announced they were going on a mission. WOW! He made it a great home!

With that said I love my dad. We get many chances to talk about life, whats to come, and of course death. He wont live very much longer in which we both know. My last chance to talk to him one on one I was doing hair for a wedding. He had mention how his baby wasn't much of a baby anymore (that's me!!!) but how I was still his baby no matter what. He even told me he looks forward to the day he get to give me away. I really think that is what he is hanging on for. He even said he would show up in a tux!!! he is a character (I responded with.. "well dad you will be about the only one in Vegas in a tux".. for he told all of us girls he would pay us if we eloped. I plan to hold my end of the deal, and make him hold his too!) I love my dad!


If you look at this closely you can see my brother (in law) mike sticking his finger in my dad's ear, and my dad of course just laughing it off.

My family: Jen, Will, Bryce, Me, Mike, Amber and Emi, Ruth, Chad, taylor, Bob, Aimee, Greg Janelle, mason, Lynn, Alisha, Kaylee, Rob, Abbi, My mom, Lolly, My Dad, Cameron, Parker, Garrett, Jayce and Jerron (wow that is alot, we are missing Josh, allie and Kaleb)

No comments: