Sunday, January 13, 2013

Piano

A couple of months ago... I mean 6 months ago, my mom approached me with an offer of a piano she found. Almost 2 years ago I asked if I could take her secondary piano, play it, clean it, tune it... Take care of it until she wanted it back. It just didn't seem to work so the subject was dropped. Now flashes forward 18 months later, my mom said that there was this piano that was free and all I had to do was move it. It was worth checking it out. One Saturday morning we drove clear to no-mans land to check out this piano. When we got there the piano was in great shape. There was minimal wearing, it was surprisingly in tune after 5 years, very well taken care of but it was ginormous!!! The piano is 80 years old and what they call an upright grand.

I worried about this piano... It was too good to be true. If I said no I would wonder if I was passing up a great opportunity. As many as there were 'pros' there were 5 more 'cons'. Would it fit in my house??? How would we move it without destroying it??? How would we get it down the stairs??? Where would we put it?? How would we lift a nearly 1000 pound piano???

I spent time thinking about it and decided that I was going for it. I found a mover for a great price. That took out nearly half the list of cons. Before they even agreed to doing it they had to come out and measure to make sure it would fit. Let me tell you that this move was almost as bad as our couches. We just couldn't seem to get our schedule coordinated. After 2 months of trying, moving day was here. Perfect timing before the rain.
As we got to piano moved from the truck to our entry way and down the stairs, our perfect plan came to a screeching hauls. Our piano was stuck. It was like fitting a square peg into a round hole.. We had to be creative in how we were going to get it to fit. Eventually we did, with a quarter inch to spare.

Soon after we got it settled, my Mom came over and help me tear it apart and show me how to clean it. It has taken me this long to get it cleaned and back together. For Christmas I got a piano bench and some sheet music. I can't wait to start playing again.

Not bad for a free piano!!!




1 comment:

The Greenwoods said...

I love this piano! It is so pretty. I want to hear you play it sometime. maybe you can do it the same night you have me over for fondue;)