Friday, October 30, 2009

Finding the kid within



Every year around Halloween Bryce, I , Nikki and Julian always get together to carve pumpkins. We are such kids! This year was a different story. Way back when the rain was falling so hard in June, I went out to our garden to find a mysterious plant growing right in the middle of the garden. I knew I didn't plant it because I had our garden on a system. I decided I would wait patiently to see what came.


Somewhere in mid July I saw the first flower. I knew this familiar plant and I knew that it would should take over everything.. and it did. It was a pumpkin! That is weird I didn't plant any pumpkins but I in deed have one.. oh wait there was 2! I figured since all the bird transplanted a few of my plants they must've plucked it out of someone else's garden into our.. oh well fair game!

Somewhere in Aug I was talking to Bryce. We not only had 2 pumpkins but we had a 3rd one growing mysteriously in our cucumbers! Wow we did really well for not planting any at all. Then is all clicked.. this had nothing to do with the birds. Bryce last year had thrown our pumpkins out into the garden after Halloween and rota-tilled the garden. We must've gotten a seed or two back there and that is where the pumpkins came from.. odd, how did they survive the winter and the tilling and the plant and such???



By the end of September it started to get cold and we knew the garden was going. I went out and picked out the pumpkins and guess what?? There was number 4! Hiding! Wow. We kept them outside on our porch until last Tues. Nikki and Julian were busy and Debbie is gone on vacation so we went and picked up Grandma. She needs to find the child within her and we helped her out. We had pizza, pop, pumpkin pie, seeds everywhere and paint up the wall (not literally) It was fun but man were we exhausted! As you can see by the first pic. Grandma painted and we carve. The witch Grandma and I did together.

We had loads of fun and who knows what surprised we will get next year! As for right now I have a dirty house that has to be cleaned. Tomorrow we will have chili, homemade rootbeer, make carmel apples (sara wish us luck this year!) and loads of trick or treaters.

2 comments:

The Greenwoods said...

Looks Like tons of fun!!!

Dan said...

Awesome you guys!