Sunday, May 6, 2012

Silverware

As I walked down the red carpeted isle to accept my diploma, I thought "I'm FREE!!!!". Never once did I think of all of the presents that I would get. Most of my relatives sent money for a college fund. It was already late (10:00) and I never thought of going home to hang out with my family, I only thought of the last night with all of my high school friends, and the overnight curfew that I knew my mom would never let happen again. Oh the memories. My parents gave me a graduation preset of silverware. really???? Like most LDS families, especially mine, my mom expected me to follow in the footsteps of my siblings and marry young. I think that is why I got silverware. I had no intentions of moving out during college and I was only thinking marriage because it was what I thought I had to do, so why silverware?
The Christmas after I graduated, 6 months later, I received glasses, and pans, and everything that a young girl dreams of getting as a wedding gift. Sigh.
I eventually did move out, but not being a newlywed. I was a single girl who after about a year being out of high school realized I didn't want to marry young although the pressure to marry young was always there. I moved in with my brother, then out, then in with a roommate, then out, then in with another roommate and out... you get the idea. Every single person I lived with was established so I packed around all of these dishes that I only opened once to look at. Eventually I met Bryce and moved in with him. He too was established so once again I put all of my dishes in storage. One day we decided it was time to have the house to our selves. No family living with us. I sent all of the dishes and such with Bryce's mom. She was moving in to her own place and I had some things already and the rest I wanted to match perfectly to our kitchen (this is the OCD side of me) I pulled out all of my dishes, washed them and put them where the belong. For once, I finally got to use my dishes 8 years after I graduated and received them. Everything still perfect as I had received them.
The last 3 weeks, I noticed that the silverware is becoming slim to none. I have no clue why but we are running out of forks. It is annoying and we barely have enough when we have people over for dinner. I decided it was time to search out for a new set. I had no idea they were that expensive! I went to many store to find a simple set that I liked. I either hate the design, or the length, and I refused to pay tons of money for plain Jane. I finally found a set that was on clearance, it was a set of 4. There was 2 boxes left but a set of 8 wasn't enough for us. so I bought it hoping I would find another set at another location. I searched, no luck. In the process our vacuum broke so I head to bed bath and beyond to search for a new one. We ended up not finding a vacuum there but while I was there, I headed over to the silverware since plan A didn't work, hoping to find a cheap brand that was simple but not plain. My current set was a Cambridge. When I got back there everything was so expensive! I wanted to choke. as I turn to leave, in the corner was a box of Cambridge sitting in the corner. As I looked at it, it looked so familiar. I took a picture and went on my way. Since I didn't buy a vacuum I had a 20% coupon sitting in my purse. When I got home I grab the picture and started comparing to what I already had and they matched perfectly! Who would have thought 11 years after I graduated and received silverware as a gift that I would go try to find a new set and find one matching my existing set? To make things better, I used my coupon and only paid $5 more than the set I was going to 'settle' for.

2 comments:

Sarah and Neil Peterson said...

That's awesome! I love when the universe aligns with what I already have :)

Geeta and Tim said...

My my, what a story! I'd like to find a matching set for the ones we have. Thru the years some have become bent out of shape, chewed up by the garbage disposal, gone missing (by Tim.)